Tuesday, April 12, 2011

From GI Joe to Hairbows

I remember clearly as a child choosing boy toys over "girlie" toys any day of the week.  All my friends would want to come over to play Barbie, I hated dressing Barbie....I still hate dressing Barbie.  I was so excited when they finally came out with a pair of jeans for Barbie, that I agreed to play "Barbie" for a little while with my friends. That excitement quickly faded.

Give me a G.I. Joe doll, walkie talkies or a stomper truck over some dumb doll any day.  I was a huge tomboy and loved to roughhouse with the boys.  I would make mud pies, catch frogs, play with bugs, go fishing and bait my own hook and LOVED it, still do.  I used to get teased a lot when I was younger. I was definitely just one of the guys, all throughout childhood, and even as I grew up. My husband and I were best friends before we started dated.  We are happily married and he is still my best friend.

I remember one year for Christmas, after so many years of getting boy toys, my Dad decided that he was going to get me some "girlie" stuff.  I was NOT happy to say the least.  He got me a Baby Alive doll, which I learned to love, I guess I HAVE always had the nurturing instinct.  He didn't keep it strictly "girlie" though.  He got me a stomper truck and I was so excited.  I played with it right away....I turned it on and you could go forward and backward with it.  I put it on top of my step-sister's head and those tires wound her hair up so tight....I tried putting it in reverse to get it out and it only made it worse.  They had to cut part of her hair to get that truck out and she was not happy.  That was one of my most memorable Christmases.

So how does one go from G.I. Joes to Hairbows??? After having three beautiful girls and doing multiple at home fun craft things, that tends to soften your heart and turn you a little more girlie and even releases your inner craft beast. ;)  It started with my 15 year old Sadie Bug....she actually didn't get the hairbows because we didn't have access to the internet showing the instructional D.I.Y.  and even better, step by step, for that matter.  She was my pretty hat girl.  I always had her in a hat, every where we went....ones with flowers on them and other pretty things.

Then eleven years later along comes her sister Lulee.  I decided I wanted to put her in hairbows.  I went to different stores and did not like what I saw and thought....I really need to learn how to do this myself.  That way I can by ribbon for each outfit and match it perfectly.  So I googled "free instructions to make hairbows,"
and low and behold I found tons of instructions.  This tomboy turning girlie was on to something amazing. Oh my goodness....you should have seen the first hairbow I made....and I just thought I did good.  Ha-ha!!!

Since then, I have made tons and tons of hairbows and not only for my little girls, but I sell them as well.  I have made other little girls and their Mommies happy.  I have never been so happy to have found my "crafty" side.  I have made pretty bow holders, no sew blankets, pretty dance bags....I think girlie is not so bad.  You still may see me making a mud pie every now and again and I sure can't turn down riding a dirt bike or a four wheeler, but as for the "girlie" thing....I'm really liking it...I am really happy doing my hairbows. I have found my niche, my therapy. :) Since having our little Brynlea I'm even more hairbow crazy.

Here are just a few I made the other night:


3 comments:

Unknown said...

I love you my Hair Bow QUEEN!!!
You are the light of my life, and the center star for all three of our babies!

Anonymous said...

I cannot believe that I typed a small "book" in reply to your post only to discover that I did not follow the correct procedure to have my small "book" posted.....Oh well, here I go again.......love your posts always.....ennjoy reading them with a cup of java....fun to see you enjoying your family....and reading about your past adventures as a young girl.....I remember that small, fiesty red head...being a "tomboy".....It was fun........you do have the "bestest" hairbows around....gotten where I look forward to seeing the new ones, matching each little outfit......yes, Sadie was a "hat" girl. love here new haircut......just right for her!....by the way, after the kind of "exciting" day her mom had yesterday.....mom sure did look pretty last night.....keep posting....love your writing style and always enjoy hearing about my family to the south.........good day to you and yours....prayers always............love, mama

Anonymous said...

it is good to see your posts once again......look forward to reading more, mama