Thursday, March 3, 2011

Day 3 of My Facebook Sabbatical

Day 3: Started out really busy and had quite a bit of distractions. I didn't really miss FB earlier today. The day started out great. Woke up spent some time with my Sadie Bug and then took her to the bus stop. I came back started cleaning....cooked breakfast. Had fun with the younger girls. Lulee, the four year old and I were in her room and I saw a black mass by her bed. I asked her to go over there and pick it up, thinking it was a little sticker or a toy or something. It was a swarm of ants. She totally FREAKED!!! She started screaming and shaking ANTS, ANTS, ANTS!!!! They were everywhere!!!

I have asked her not to eat in her room, but somehow she sneaks off before I know if and crumbs galore will end up all on her carpet, barely able to be seen unless you are face down on the carpet. It's Berber carpet and it hides things pretty well. Needless to say, the invasion of ants scared us and got us all in a frenzy even the Hubby got involved. He called our pest control and they came out here within 15 minutes. They were on it!!! BTW did you know that if you kill an ant with your finger that it leaves a peppermint odor behind. It might sound psycho, but seriously, try it next time you kill one. It is the weirdest thing. So my child's room, as many as there were, smelled like I had put a peppermint candle in there. Ok, maybe I'm exaggerating just a little, but you get the picture.

So once the excitement was over, the girls and I decided to take a nap. I woke up feeling like I had lost my best friend. I didn't have time to think about FB or anything earlier during the day and then once things started slowing down, I realized that other than FB I really don't have that much communication with the "outside" world other than by phone and church weekly and occasional preschool programs and parties and waiting with the other dance Moms at dance for our kids to get out of class. FB is my way of communicating, my way of pretending I'm still getting out of the house on a daily basis. I used to like going to work and having the fun part of seeing people that you considered family and catching up with them daily and joking with them daily. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE staying at home now, being a full time Mommy, but I miss the interaction . That is what I get from FB and today I realized I was missing it. Not so much as an addiction, but an outlet, a chance to reach out to the "outside" world, a chance to vent, listen to people venting, a chance to joke and listen to others jokes, listen to how peoples days are going, tell how mine has been. I truly care about these people and how there day has been.

I have gotten to know a lot of my Hubby's friends online that he used to go to school with years ago that I helped him get in contact with since we share an account. He never uses the account so I'm always on there and I have conversed with many of these people and find it very interesting and awesome to have gotten to know them. Facebook has let me reconnect with many, many people that I had been searching for, for years and now I'm able to pop on there and talk to them daily. I realize now that how often I was on FB was more than often and probably a little on the obsessive side. ;) But being off of it just lets me know that it is something that I do love, I will not stop, but I will do it in moderation and less often than before to give myself a chance to do the other things that I had been missing out on doing, i.e. my blog and having my house in tip-top shape and being able to jump and run to have fun and not have to worry about the mess I will have to come back home to.

Tomorrow is Friday and it is the last day of the Sabbatical. I had challenged myself to stay off for the rest of the week.....not the weekend.....who knows....I might pop in on Saturday to say hi or I might decide that Sunday or Monday might be just as good. In other words, I'm going to get on it when I want to because I want to....Not because I feel like I NEED too. I'm in control...not the other way around. So far the willpower is winning!!!

On a side note....took the girls out to dinner tonight and we enjoyed ourselves immensely. No distractions, just good conversation....good times....LOVE my kiddos!!!

No comments: